Tracy's Reviews > Mamotte Shugogetten, Volume 01

Mamotte Shugogetten, Volume 01 by Minene Sakurano

Oct 14, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: manga-and-anime, fantasy-sci-fi, goddess-tales, series-books, boy-man-masculine-tales, friendship, library-books
Read in October, 2008

I started reading this (or, really, looking at the pictures and captions), and despite the beautiful style of the art, the story itself is mundane and kind of boring. It reminds me a little too much of Ah! My Goddess! when Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld are playing around in Kechii's college motor race tech club when they are not trying figure out life on a modern day earth. In this manga, the moon goddess Shao appears out of a ring to anyone with a a pure heart, and is sworn to serve and protect them. But times have changed considerably since Shao last appeared to someone, likely in ancient China. So, just like Kechii who thinks he's calling a number for pizza, Tasuke looks into the ring, Shao appears and immediately tries to set up a defense around his house. Turns out Tasuke is a lonely 14 year old boy who just wants a friend. But Shao has no idea what it's like to be a normal human being in the modern day Japanese manga now. So Tasuke has to teach her, while trying not to get all hot and bothered over her while every other male in the story endlessly calls her "cute". It's really not a bad manga but it's just not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mamotte Shugogetten, Volume 01.