Marshall's Reviews > The Rise of Darth Vader

The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno

Aug 24, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, fiction, to-read
Read from June 13 to August 24, 2012

A really good book that helps bridge the gap between Star Wars III and IV. I always felt another movie was necessary to complete the story, though I knew it would be overly dark. The original three were about the rise of a hero, Luke. The three prequels were about the fall of a hero, Anikan. Yet the one mysterious character that tied them all together--Darth Vader, the rise of the anti-hero--has never had his story told.

This book gets inside his mind, explores his tentative relationship with the Emperor and his remaining ambivalence about the Dark Side, his struggles to come to terms with his new cyborg body extensions, and finalizes his transition from Anikan Skywalker to Darth Vader. It also shows the last attempts by the few remaining Jedi to restore peace, and how Vader drove them into hiding, once and for all.

The action scenes and light saber battles don't read quite as exciting as in the movies, but the story is worthy of a screenplay. I'd complain about the lack of character development, but it was actually quite a bit better than the movies, though that isn't saying much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Darth Vader.