Susy's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

1191398
Jun 13, 12

Read in June, 2012

Five stars should mean that the book is worthy of a National Book Award, a Pulitzer or at least Susy's favorite book thus far. It's not perfect but what book is? For me, it came at the right time; my mother had recently passed away although the circumstances were far different than those of Strayed's mother. I totally related to the sorrow and loss the author describes although I chose to deal with those emotions in a far different way. But the book hooked me from the point that the Pacific Crest Trail hit her radar. I know it's there as I look at the mountains that parralel the north south highways of the roads I travel from California to Washington, but what is it like to walk the path? Strayed is the least prepared hiker I can imagine to tackle the trail, but it serves her purpose. Her introspection and doggedness while in the wild are gritty and singleminded. I could never do what she did, but it made for a fascinating read. Her story is raw but powerful and came to me just when I needed to process some of my own grief. Her journey helped me immensely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.