Angela Risner's Reviews > Hard Target

Hard Target by Alan Jacobson

Jun 25, 12

Read from June 22 to 25, 2012

I am a huge fan of the Alan Jacobson series featuring profiler Karen Vail.

I was looking forward to reading Hard Target, although I knew that Karen was more of a secondary character in this novel. However, I didn't like this as much as I had hoped.

The story follows Agent Aaron Uziel, who goes by the nickname of Uzi. Uzi lost his wife and daughter while he was a member of the Mossad in Israel. He returned to the States and started working for the FBI. He and his partner, Hector DeSantos, are investigating the attempted murder of the President-elect.

I enjoyed the insight into the workings of the FBI and the part that politics plays in investigations. However, I didn't care for Uzi as much as a character. I feel sorry for him that he lost his wife and daughter, but he makes some truly poor choices in this book. There were definitely some twists that I would expect to see on my favorite soap opera, not in an Alan Jacobson book. Here are the rest of my issues with the book:

1. There were just too many characters. Some had real names, some went by code names; either way, there were just too many.
2. Many things were easily figured out by the reader, but not the characters. No real surprises until the very last page, because it was easy to figure out.
3. One of the bad guys showed up in the beginning and then didn't come back until near the end. By then, I'd forgotten about him and who he was.
4. Not enough Karen Vail.

Is this better than a lot of books out there? Yes, it is. But it just wasn't Alan Jacobson's best.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Target.