Shawn Lane's Reviews > Red Heart Tattoo

Red Heart Tattoo by Lurlene McDaniel

Jun 15, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 13 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Confession time: This is my first Lurlene McDaniel book. Shame on me! As a librarian, I watch her books fly off the shelves everyday. Once a student discovers her wonderful books, they come in everyday picking out the next one! So when I had the opportunity to read and review Red Heart Tattoo, I jumped on it! I completely understand the pull my readers have to her books.

The first thing I liked about Red Heart Tattoo where the characters and how McDaniel’s developed each one. She covered the members of each type of clique and how they relate to each other.
Morgan represented the popular/cheerleading clique. She represented in a naive, innocent way. I loved her character. I loved the way she wholeheartedly tackled life, but had her weaknesses. I loved the way she battled what life handed her and that in the end, she stuck to the values she was raised with, and the goals she had set for herself. I like that even though she allowed her heart to love, she used her head to live her life.
Kelli also represents the same clique as Morgan, but is that one in the clique whose life isn’t going according to plan.
Trent and Mark represent the jock clique. There characters tend to represent the world view of jocks.They are egotistical, they bully, they get the girl, and live life to play ball. It’s a pretty harsh view, but in Red Heart Tattoo, it’s essential, because this is also the view that most “anti-jock” cliques have.
Roth and Liza represent the goth/pierced/tattooed clique. Roth is my favorite character. He is the essential bad boy, and he wants the good girl, Morgan.
The final clique represented is the unnoticed, but highly dangerous group. These are the ones the fly under the radar watching and waiting. These are the ones that observe the other cliques, and decide to rock their world, because they can.
I liked that this could be any high school in America. These characters are the characters in our high schools. The parents are the parents of today’s students.
I also liked the bad boy wants the good girl, and especially that the good girl is strangely attracted to the bad boy.
What I liked most about the story was Morgan’s triumph. Having been blinded by the bomb that was set off, Morgan faces this obstacle in the fashion she faced everything else. She took charge, stayed independent, but determined.
The one thing that I didn’t like about Red Heart Tattoo, was that McDaniel’s used the parent’s names instead of “Mom” or “Dad” and “Mother” or “Father.” This sometimes left me confused, and constantly had to remember that Paige was Morgan’s mom, not sister or friend.
This book will definitely be added to the shelves in my library and I’m sure will be a hit with all of Lurlene McDaniel’s fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Heart Tattoo.