Angela Risner's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Jun 19, 12

Read from June 16 to 19, 2012

Scott Jurek didn't have an easy, lazy childhood. His mother became ill and his father has to work, so Scott ends up taking care of his younger siblings. He chops wood, learns to cook, and becomes self-sufficient. While I would never advocate a child losing his/her childhood completely, it would be lovely if more children were tasked with chores and responsibilities at an early age.

He begins running as an adolescent in order to escape the pressures of his daily life and to condition himself for cross-country skiing. At first he hates running, but over time grows to love it and it becomes his main sport. He realizes that he becomes stronger the longer he runs, rather than the other way around.

Thus begins a career of ultrarunning - running distances over that oh-so-easy 26.2 miles (having never run more than a mile, I am being facetious.) Jurek has ran and won races that are over 100 miles on a regular basis.

Jurek became a vegan when he took up distance running seriously. At the end of each chapter, he features a training tip and a vegan recipe.

What I loved most, though, was the wisdom that Jurek imparts. He's clearly a very deep person who has learned a lot over his lifetime.

Some of my favorite quotes:
*What we eat is a matter of life and death. Food is who we are.
*Difficulty would help. It had always helped. I was finally figuring that out. All the whys in the universe hadn't granted me peace or given me answers.
*You could carry your burdens lightly or with great effort.
*Now we sit. We drive and surf on the internet and watch television. And naturally, we suffer.
*Whether you get what you want isn't what defines you. It's how you go about your business.
*We all lose sometimes. We fail to get what we want. Friends and loved ones leave. We make a decision we regret. We try our hardest and come up short. It's not the losing that defines us. It's how we lose. It's what we do afterward.

The only reason I've given it 4 over 5 stars is that there were times that the book felt very long. But overall, highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.