Cris's Reviews > First You Fall

First You Fall by Scott  Sherman

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: gay, mystery, suspense
Read on June 14, 2012

Bought this because the MC sounds like Thorny! In looks anyway, not in profession :)

So the MC, Kevin, is truly described as looking like our own Thorny. 5'3", slender, blond, extremely cute. He's also smart, funny, and can kick a little ass when he needs to. I loved him!

As the blurb implies, this is NOT a romance, it's a mystery. There are a few possible love interests for Kevin in this book and there is no HEA, just a very firm HFN.

I didn't like the overbearing mother, because I can't stand overbearing mothers. The thought of having someone, anyone, barge into my home and demand to stay there indefinitely actually induces bursts of rage in my head. Luckily, in this book, the mother only started out horrible and got better, so I got over that.

The fat-bashing? Not so much. I know it's fiction and lots of people defend it as character based, but describing someone as a really nice, kind, genuine person, yet completely unfuckable just because they're fat? And going into great detail about how this unfuckable fat person looks naked? That made me want to cry.

Anyway, except for the mother-induced rage burst and the heartache from the fat bashing, I did like the book. The characters were clearly drawn, interesting, and well written. Though I did peg the killer early on. I think most regular mystery readers will.

That all said, I'm probably picking up the next book in the series (probably because it's really expensive at $9), I want to know what happens with Kevin, Freddy, Tony, Marc, and Romeo.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First You Fall.

06/14/2012
22.0% "Am I the only one that just HATES overbearing family in books? Love the MC so far, but why does anyone put up with family taking over their lives?!"
06/14/2012
59.0% "Okay, really enjoying the story and the MC, but the fat-bashing is a bit OTT."
06/14/2012
85.0% "Ach! Norma Rae reference - good. Wrong characters being referenced - bad!"
06/14/2012
96.0% "And now the villain explains everything."

Thorny LOL :D