Traci (The Reading Geek)'s Reviews > The Dark Unwinding

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron

F_50x66
Aug 28, 12

Read from August 17 to 24, 2012

I really enjoyed The Dark Unwinding and didn't want to put this book down for long. I just loved how the story unraveled and how the characters were developed. I especially loved the setting the most though.

Katherine is sent to bring her uncle to an insane asylum but soon discovers that he isn't crazy. Katherine definitely has a difficult decision to make regarding her uncle. I actually didn't immediately like Katherine but a few chapters later I definitely began to like her a lot more. I especially liked how her character is developed though. She is strong and has always followed some strict rules. I think that it was because of how strictly she followed rules that it took me some time to like her. There were also some other great and strongly developed characters in this book too. I particularly loved Uncle Tully and Lane. I even wished Lane was involved in the story even more.

The plot was really interesting and creepy. I liked that it immediately jumped right into the story. I did feel that some parts of the plot were slower than other parts though but it wasn't so slow that it made me want to put the book down. I really loved solving the mystery too. There were definitely some twists that I hadn't been expecting. Some parts were predictable but I was happy that some moments could still take me by surprise. There were even some aspects of steampunk incorporated into the plot too.

The setting was my favorite aspect of this book. Uncle Tully's estate definitely provided the story with a creepy backdrop from the very beginning. When I first read the summary I knew I would fall in love with the setting since I love books in the Victorian era. Overall Cameron makes an excellent debut. I recommend The Dark Unwinding, it was a creepy and captivating story.

w.thereadinggeek.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Unwinding.