Jamie's Reviews > Joe Turner's Come and Gone

Joe Turner's Come and Gone by August Wilson

Jun 13, 2012

Recommended to Jamie by: Abby Ashford-Grooms
Recommended for: readers who enjoy reading plays
Read on June 12, 2012 , read count: once

This is the first August Wilson play I've read. I read it this morning. I loved the economy of the dialogue. Loved thinking about the purpose of each character. The mention of the Monogahala made me think of a Walk in the Woods - a book the future 9th graders will read this summer. The mention of the coal industry as it tied to the local economy is a neat connection. Mattie, Bynum. What does the story have to tell us about life. What are the characters looking for?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joe Turner's Come and Gone.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca You should pick up "Fences" if you want more Wilson! We read it as sophomores at LASA, and I really enjoyed it, especially as studies of a family of characters and of the society that molded their personalities and influenced their decisions. The "Fences" dialogue also felt so authentic and lively, it practically leapt off the page!

Jamie I will be getting to it. I'm teaching one section of 9th next year and our 9th graders read one of five in his decade plays. Right now I'm reading The Piano Lesson. His writing is very lyrical. Hope you are well. I heard you lost a grandparent recently. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Please share my thoughts with your parents.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Thanks for your kind thoughts, Ms. Langley! My parents and I really appreciate it. I am at the three-week UVA Young Writers Workshop right now, writing a lot of poetry (and remembering your poetry class from my sixth grade year, which introduced me to several of my favorite poets)! I'll have to read some more of Wilson's plays. I hope your summer is going well.