Kristilyn's Reviews > Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: borrowed, audiobooks, read-in-2012
Read from June 15 to 20, 2012

When I think back to what TV show or movie I may have watched starring Steven Martin, the only one that comes up is Father Of The Bride. Obviously, I don’t call myself a huge fan, but he’s one comedian who I know of and seem to really like whenever I see him in anything.

His autobiography — or biography, as he called it, as he’s writing about someone he used to know — wasn’t bad. For me, it wasn’t the best audiobook I listened to, though. I felt that it was more of a listing of dates, who was there, and what was said — but what I wanted to know was more about Martin’s life, how he got to where he is today. I mean, he’s an author of several books, a well-known comedian and actor — is he married? Does he have kids?

This “biography” seemed to be lacking any kind of emotion that I wanted to hear. I don’t have a lot of books to compare it to, but when I compare it to the last audiobook memoir I listened to, Jane Lynch’s Happy Accidents, it really falls short. Whereas in Jane’s memoir, she talks about her rocky past — the ups and downs — she comes right into the now with her TV work and whatnot. In this audiobook, Steve Martin talks a lot about how he worked for 30 years and really didn’t feel like he was making it — at the almost-30-year-point, he was still doing his act for people who wouldn’t even laugh. I wanted something happy to happen!

Of course, it wasn’t all bad for me — I loved hearing about Steve Martin growing up, working in Disneyland, doing magic. I loved hearing about him meeting Elvis, the moment where he saw him in his white suit. I even really liked the singing parts and when he would do parts of his acts that he loved over the years.

The audio wasn’t too bad. It was narrated by Steve Martin and a lot of the time it felt like he was just reading a story. The only time there was real inflection in his voice was when he was either singing, or doing a joke from his acts. Other than that, there’s not a lot of humour in the book, either.

Thankfully this was a short one because I’m not sure if I could’ve listened to it had it been longer. I respect Steve Martin and his journey to where he is today, but I wish he would’ve gone a little further through the years, rather than stopping abruptly. However, if you’re a big Steve Martin fan, this would be a great book! Having been born in the 80′s, I just couldn’t connect with everything he was talking about.

Read more reviews on my blog, Reading In Winter:
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Standing Up.