Angela Risner's Reviews > Criminal

Criminal by Karin Slaughter

Jul 02, 12

I love Karin Slaughter's books and her characters. I was excited to receive this book before the date of publication.

This book focuses on way too many storylines and characters:
1. We have Will Trent, who is still married to Angie, still in love with Sara, still in angst over his childhood.
2. We have Faith's mom, Evelyn Mitchell, and Amanda Wagner, Will's boos. Both are featured in present-day chapters as well as flashbacks to 1975.
3. We have five prostitutes who have disappeared or were murdered.

That is a lot to keep track of, my friends, a LOT.

Will, I get the whole I had a crappy childhood and my father is a monster thing. I get it. Get over it. And for the love of all things holy, get Angie out of your life. She breaks into Sara's house and leaves creepy notes. I mean, hello, if you love Sara, you should be protecting her from your crazy ex.

It was interesting to see the background of Evelyn and Amanda's relationship. I didn't know that women were treated like that, as I was just born around that time. I didn't have to break any glass ceilings. It's disgusting that men thought it was okay to talk to women this way.

The five prostitutes who have disappeared or were murdered. No one cared about them because they were women. Today, no one cares about them because they are prostitutes. Is that okay? No, it's not. But throwing 5 of them in there just confused the crap out of me. I still am not sure who was related to whom and who lived and who died.

There were just a lot of continuity issues with this book. Too many characters and not enough of the ones we have grown to love. I wouldn't read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criminal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maribel Jeffo I agree with you 100%.

Angela Risner Thank you :-)