Andrea's Reviews > Shallow

Shallow by Georgia Cates

Oct 08, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-young-adult, read-in-2012, mature-young-adult
Read from September 29 to 30, 2012

With an against-all-odds couple that you will love and root for, Shallow is a beautiful sequel in the Going Under Series by Georgia Cates.

Wow. I had high hopes for Shallow because, let's face it, Payton is one badass chick. The girl nearly stole Going Under from Claire and Jessie and I was beyond pumped for her to have her own story. Georgia Cates delivered. Shallow was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. Seriously, the story, particularly Payton, was almost too awesome to handle.

In Shallow, just like Going Under, you have another privileged girl falling for a boy from the wrong side of the tracks. It's a story of a girl who has everything, but only wants one thing: love. It's a story of a boy who is looking for another hook-up, but stumbles into the love of a lifetime. I said this with my review of Going Under: the particular story isn't anything new, but with characters that you will love and root for, Georgia Cates delivers stories that will win you over.

I would love nothing more than to sit here and gush, gush, gush over Payton and Nick. These two are some of my favorite characters I've read in quite a while. Payton is truly one of a kind. With her smart mouth and "never back down" attitude, she was clearly (in my mind) written for me.

"Sarcasm, insult, and mockery...my work here was done."

I'm serious, I want to be best friends with Payton. I could only hope to be half as awesome as this girl.

As for Nick, we're talking Swoon City here, ladies. Nick is exactly my favorite type of bad boy. He's actually not that bad at all. Sure, he sleeps around, but that's something I can overlook. What matters to me is that he is good to girl he loves. That he is sincere and honest. And holy geez, the boy apparently has some serious skills. *waggles eyebrows*

Shallow was everything I hoped for and more. I got a great love story, characters that made me laugh and cry, and I just had a darn good time reading it. I know I've already said this multiple times in this review, but Payton Archer is one of the best, funniest characters I've ever read. I honestly hate to let Nick and her go. And when you leave a book with those feelings, you can truly not ask for more. To tell the truth, I may or may not have already started begging Georgia for another Going Under book. Fingers crossed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shallow.

09/29/2012 page 1
0.5% "I'm excited for this. I love Payton."
09/30/2012
35.0% "super fun. super funny!"
09/30/2012
66.0% ""Sarcasm, insult, and mockery...my work here was done." Gah, I love Payton!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mar (new)

Mar Do you like it? I loved the first installment in this series!

Andrea I liked it so, so much! Payton and Nick were awesome.

Jessica Viteri The first book in this series I liked but didn't love. I started reading this one and it seemed way better. Payton seemed to be a sassy girl. Looking forward to your review.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Fournier OMG loved it!!!

Inda Are there any graphic scenes in it? I can deal with some but nothing close to fifty shades of grey.

Andrea Dauntless wrote: "Are there any graphic scenes in it? I can deal with some but nothing close to fifty shades of grey."

Oh no! Nothing like that. I read it back last fall, but I don't remember the story having anything remotely explicit in it.

Inda Whoo, thank goodness! I had to stop a book the other day because it was so graphic and I didn't want to make that mistake again. So thanks for clarifying!