Jen's Reviews > Jake and Lily

Jun 13, 12

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, elementary-upper, realistic
Read in June, 2012

Jake and Lily are twins, and since they’ve been six years old, they’ve realized they’ve got something special. Something they call goombla – the ability to know the other’s thoughts, feelings, and location. And even though they are different from each other, it’s like they’re two halves of the same person. But now that fifth grade has ended and summer is starting, things are different. Jake and Lily each get separate rooms. Jake starts hanging out with a new group of guys, including Bump Stubbins, who Lily hates. Lily can't handle the separation. How does she get her own life - not a Lily-and-Jake-life, but her own Lily-life? Find out in this book told in alternating chapters from Jake and Lily’s point of view in Jake and Lily.

_________________________
While this book go off to a slow start for me, once I reached Intro II (about 81 pages in) I really found myself pulled into it. Jake and Lily are each distinctive characters that you like and can relate to even if they are pretty different. I was suprised by the bullying aspects of the book, which was great - I think that the book does a really great job of getting you to sympathize with the bullied. Thank goodness Jake comes to terms with himself, because I would have been pissed off if that hadn't happened. And while Lily seems rather whiney at the beginning, I think that anyone who has dealt with the loss of a friend can to what's going on with her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jake and Lily.