Alisha Marie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Feb 02, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read, tearjerkers, read-in-2014
Read in January, 2014

When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows first came out, I remember trying to space the pages out, so that I would make it last and it did last. I finished it after a day and a half as opposed to a day. I went through The Deathly Hallows so fast that I missed the subtleties J.K. Rowling embedded in this book that tied all seven books together. The second time I re-read The Deathly Hallows, I loved it more than the first time. I took my time with it and as soon as I finished, I had to restrain the urge to turn the book around and re-read it all over again.

This is my third time reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I loved the book more in its two re-readings than when I first originally read it. This is definitely my favorite Harry Potter book. It was just so full of excitement. From the moment it says “Rufus Scrimageour is dead…The Ministry has fallen.” up until the last sentence before the epilogue, this book is full of thrills. Obviously, though, it’s sort of bittersweet because you say goodbye to the characters that everyone has grown to love, especially the ones that didn’t make it.

I loved that in The Deathly Hallows we get a clear view of the progress that Neville Longbottom makes. He goes from a clumsy, shaky, somewhat nervous boy to a strong, courageous hero. We get a clear view of how Harry, Ron, and Hermione grew up. We get to see the love that these three have for each other and that’s really sweet to me. We get to see the BATTLE of ALL BATTLES! Yep, that was definitely my favorite part of The Deathly Hallows. At first, I was worried that the final confrontation between Harry and Voldermort would be anti-climactic. I needn’t worry because it was just amazing. I also loved that you had other Hogwarts students who had already graduated come back to enter the fight.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was filled with twists and thrills galore! Seriously, a lot of the things you thought you knew for certain were completely turned upside down in this book. That being said, I still say that this book is depressing as hell. People’s favorite characters were dropping like flies. But, I guess in a battle there have to be some casualties (but seriously did it have to be MY favorite character?). Still, this book was just full of awesomeness and I really can’t wait for my next re-read of it. You know why? Because the ENTIRE Harry Potter series (the books AND the movies) NEVER gets old. And due to this, the readers never will either. HP is sheer perfection.

Quotes Alisha Marie Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows