Sara's Reviews > Ten Girls to Watch

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, loved, adult-fiction
Read from October 14 to 18, 2012

Dawn is a college graduate without a decent job, paying the bills by writing an online lawn care column, and feeling down because she has no real friends except her ex-boyfriend, who's now dating a girl that seems perfect for him. At a party, Dawn meets the editor of Charm, a popular women's magazine, and is quickly hired to track down the winners of the magazine's annual "10 Girls to Watch". The 50th anniversary of this contest is coming up, and it becomes Dawn's job to interview the winners and see how their lives have turned out. As Dawn gets to know the hundreds of women who'd won, she begins internalizing life lessons from them, beginning to view her own life through a new viewpoint.

I loved this book. I suppose it could be considered chick lit, but it was so much deeper and sweeter than I expected. Dawn was easy to relate to, with her struggles to find the perfect job, the mistakes she recognizes that she's making in her personal life (yet this recognition does not stop her from proceeding!), and the way she continually held onto hope that something would work out in all aspects of her life, despite evidence to the contrary. She felt sorry for herself at times but didn't wallow in self-pity. She made for such a strong, relatable main character, and I was continually interested in what she would do - and what would happen - next.

This was one of those novels where the characters were stronger than the plot, but it worked. The characters moved the story forward at a good pace, and I enjoyed seeing how talking to remarkable women from years' past helped Dawn reshape the way she thought about her own life. The change was done in a sweet, believable way, with small revelations throughout the story instead of all at once. My favorite thing about this book, aside from the various internal revelations Dawn had, were the relationships. The author crafted truly believable characters, and I liked the fact that they weren't all predictable.

This story was so uplifting and is a book I think so many women would love; I'd easily recommend it to others. I was completely engrossed in this novel, and I'm very excited to read whatever the author comes out with next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Girls to Watch.