Robin's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Feb 16, 09

Read in February, 2009, read count: 3

This was a bookclub read that I've not read for many many years. It was of course assigned reading in both high school and college. I remember pouring over all the various aspects of this book and picking it a part like disecting a frog.

Now that I'm older....much older. This reading broght a whole new light on this book for me. And I'm sorry to say....I think this book is HIGHLY overrated.

This book was never a sucess (either critically or via sales) when it was released and I think that it actually is far from "The Great American Novel". I think this is a case where years of "reading into" this book has made it seem more than it is.

I HATED the book discussion (and kept silent through most of it) while I listened to a few pretencious people spout verbatium the various things I learned when "studying" the book. Trying to sound knowledgable on what Fitzgerald meant by this or that or the other thing.

The bottom line....Fitzgerald is dead and I've not found credible sources from HIM as to what he meant. So I'm left with analyzing this book with my own intellect and now that I'm old enough "to think for myself" and not concerned about the grade I will receive I find this book "coming up short".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi I think I tried to read this about 20-25 years ago when I was on a quest to read great books that I had never read and felt were lacking in my education. I don't think I made it very far through this one.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

While I can appreciate your dislike for the book, I have to say that I still love it to pieces. I think I may just love Fitzgerald's language. There are so many lines that were just beautiful to me through out the book - and that is without reading into the color meanings or his subtle "cleverness" etc. It just keeps me fascinated every time that I read it.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I really need to read this book... and I really really don't want to...

Tiffany Don't read it if you don't want to, unless it's for an assignment or something. I'm at a loss for all the clever symbolism in this book, but I loved the book. Great American Novel is an overstatement but I loved the beauty of FSF prose.

Mark Kammel Even though I think it's an excellent book, I think it's really cool that your views on the book have changed as you have aged. Care to elaborate on why (not too many details please hehe) ?

message 6: by Seppo (last edited Dec 27, 2012 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Seppo I am late to this discussion. Since I did not grow up in the United States, and missed reading the great American Novels in high school, I just recently read it. It came about by a conversation with a person who is well read. When I mentioned to him that Jacques Barzun thinks that Moby Dick is the greatest American Novel, he answered that there are many who think it is The Great Gatsby. These two books are difficult to compare as they are so different. I agree with Callie's comment, that the Fitzgerald's language is great. The images he creates in the minds eye are lasting. As to the story, it is just a reflection of the Roaring 20's.

Mark regarding "pretencious," I believe you meant "pretentious." Correct spelling of very common words will add a bit more credibility to what you write and post in Goodreads.

Audrey Ooh, I like you : )

And no, not for your opinion. I totally disagree with that. But I like the reason for your opinion - thank you for not liking this because everybody says you should, and thank you for disliking it because of your own conclusions.