Dylan Jay Smith's Reviews > Lilith

Lilith by George MacDonald

10200230
Jun 13, 12

This is by far one of the darkest books I've ever read. Coming from a Christian minister, I would expect the book to be a bit preachy. I found, however, that the story is way more of a dark fairy tale set in a somewhat biblical world, with faint biblical themes. It's hard, of course, not to be a bit biblical, considering some of the main characters are Adam, Eve, and Lilith (the first wife of Adam). MacDonald writes this story in a way that truly makes them characters in a book, rather than bible superheroes here to promote proper Christian morals and whatnot. I'm an atheist, and never once felt uncomfortable, or as though I were being read a story from a minister.

MacDonald uses amazing imagery when it comes to the world around Mr. Vane, the stories protagonist. At times things can be so beautiful, you wish you were there to see it, and then take a turn. There is a moment in the book where Mr. Vane is surrounded by flying, lit skulls, swirling around him in the black of night. MacDonald gives life to these skulls with an almost morbid reality.

In short, this book is for everyone. If you have thought about giving it a go, don't let the religious undertones keep you away. It is a fantastic roller-coaster ride through what is living, what is good and evil, and what is hell. It will challenge even the most creative mind, and I dare you to read it and not think at least once, "Wow, I wish I had thought that up."
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lilith.

Charles I've downloaded this and plan to read it because of your review. I am excited!

Charles I really had trouble getting into any of the characters, few really had anything concrete to say or do.