Kendra's Reviews > Unwanted

Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson

Jun 13, 12

This is a Scandinavian mystery, and I've been reading these on and off when I hear about another title that is supposed to be good. While I did like this and thought it had excellent writing and good characterization, I could not believe how slow the detectives were to figure out the motive for the crimes!

Let me back up a bit...the story is about a young girl who disappears from a train and is later discovered murdered with the word "Unwanted" written on her. It turns out this is just the first in a series of seemingly random child abductions that end with the victim dead and "unwanted." Honestly, I figured out the motive for the crimes almost from the title alone, and I was especially clear on why this was happening once I read a description of the first crime scene. I kept waiting and waiting for the detectives (or one of the mothers of the murder victims) to figure it out, and they were all shockingly slow to make the connection. I don't pride myself on solving the crimes in mysteries first, and I usually don't do so, so it was kind of crazy how quickly I knew where this was going.

Still, I did find the detectives to be interesting and well developed, and I would read another book by this author. It's really a 3 1/2 for me, but I almost always round up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwanted.