Darlene's Reviews > The Changelings

The Changelings by Elle Casey

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: free, fantasy, kindle, kindle-books-i-own, lending-enabled, paranormal, young-adult, text-to-speech-enabled, strong-fem, adventure, america, book-1, fae, series, urban-fantasy
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle freebie
Recommended for: Yvensong, Cheryl in CC NV,girls of all ages!
Read from September 23 to 30, 2012, read count: Once but may read it again

I can hardly wait to read the next book in this series. Not because I was left on a cliff, but because I enjoyed the story and the main character immensely! I just plain LIKE Jayne! Just the right amount of sass mixed with the appropriate degree of humility. And awkward mixture that is hard to find. But Elle Casey has figured it out!

A boy who is a friend?! Who would have thought of such a thing. Slimey romance is what is usually in these sorts of books. Rarely do a boy and a girl find deep friendship. This unique relationship keeps this book moving along. And just in case you are worried that Jayne is just weird, she has eyes for the sexier of the group, but never loses her love for her best friend. May I mention, again, that he is a boy!

Qualifier: I am an old lady of 62. But books like these did not exist in my YA days. The fun books had boys getting to do fun things and the girls were there as support or eye-candy. Ugh! I am so happy that the girls of today have fantastic books like this one to read, and realize that they, too, can win the day!

The beginning is a bit boring but rightly so. Bare with it as poor Jayne must and you will see why. This is an urban fantasy and you have to live in the urban to get to the fantasy part. But why is that? Why can't our lives be as wonderful as Jayne's in the fantasy part? At my age, the joints would complain, but at Jayne's age the world seems to want girls to be quiet and good. Thank goodness for girls like Jayne! I had a few out-spoken friends, still do, that tended toward trouble and yet were the sweetest people and most faithful friends ever. Yay for the Jaynes of this world!

Thank you, Ms. Casey for a fun adventure!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changelings.