Gary the SophistiCat's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Sep 17, 13

Read from June 13 to 17, 2012

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I guess I can understand why this was such a sensation in the 1920's. It certainly has a timeless quality and its themes are articulated in a style which seems modern almost a century later. I devoured his descriptions of fishing in the Basque country and the bull fighting fiesta in Paloma. I was less impressed by the endless drinking and bar-hopping in Paris which comprise the first part of the book. (view spoiler)

Since this was written we have witnessed other rudderless groups of young people, from the Beats in On The Road to Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters. These groups share a propensity for deep and abiding friendship with Hemingway's Lost Generation...and a similar lack of purpose. That Hemingway was able to convey so much with his simple, spare prose is a mighty accomplishment but he failed to slay me.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 17, 2013 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzanne I was disappointed in this book. There was so much hype about the lost generation. I just wasn't interested in this group of losers. They were Paris Hilton , Charlie Sheehan , Linsay Lohan etc. They're in the "news" constantly. I don't care to read about them either.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Gary, nice pics, but the photo of Shakespeare & Co is of the current bookshop, which has no connection to Sylvia Beach's store (other than the name) and is in a different location. Howerver, I'm sure that Hemingway would have walked past whatever this particular store used to be at some point while he was in Paris!

Gary the SophistiCat Thanks for the clarification. It's back to photobucket for me! (As if I needed an excuse...)

Suzanne I love the photo. So what if it's not "real". How much of Hemingway 's stories were real? (I wrote stories on purpose. I only believe only 65 per cent of what is known about him.)

Gary the SophistiCat Sorry Suzanne, but authenticity in photos is very important to me. Les Duex Magots will have to do until I find something better. Although we never went inside we walked by it many times on our way to that little street with all the cheap restaurants near Luxenbourg Gardens.

Jeffrey Keeten Did someone mention photobucket?

I read this as a teen and my five star rating is still based off that reading. I've decided for now to leave myself with those illusions of greatness. Besides I can't risk falling head over teakettle for Lady Brett Ashley again. It could be terminal this time. :-)

Gary the SophistiCat Jeffrey wrote: "Did someone mention photobucket?

Our illusions connect us to our youthful selves, I guess. Just as Ernest H defines Paris in the 1920's, you, Jeffrey K, define photobucket in our time. :-)

message 8: by Traveller (new)

Traveller Although I very much liked The Old Man and the Sea, I've decided that I detest Hemingway, especially for his apparent condonement, and even glorification, of bullfights.

Gary the SophistiCat Traveller wrote: "Although I very much liked The Old Man and the Sea, I've decided that I detest Hemingway, especially for his apparent condonement, and even glorification, of bullfights."

Haven't read TOMATS; I think I saw the movie. I haven't made my mind up about him. What little I've read hasn't driven me to read more. I think Jeffrey Keeten's review of A Moveable Feast comes closest to my feelings.

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm about to re-read (or at least, listen to) The Sun also Rises as part of my Lost Generation project. I didn't like it at university, but I've now read a bit about the trip to Pamplona in 1925 which Hemingway used as the basis for the novel and I'm interested in that background. The central characters are based on friends Hemingway travelled with, not all of whom remained his friends after they read the novel. (Quelle surprise!)

message 11: by Samadrita (new)

Samadrita Gary, is it just me or have you been reading and reviewing too many books lately? :)

Gary the SophistiCat Samadrita wrote: "Gary, is it just me or have you been reading and reviewing too many books lately? :)"

Actually I'm taking a speed reading class ;-) I'm not sure why a bunch of my reviews have been recirculated. Last year, when I first discovered photobucket, I started going back and adding pictures to reviews but I usually disabled the update feed. I guess I forgot to do it for this one when I changed the picture yesterday.

message 13: by Samadrita (new)

Samadrita Gary wrote: "Samadrita wrote: "Gary, is it just me or have you been reading and reviewing too many books lately? :)"

Ah in that case I am thankful you forgot to disable the update feed. At least we get to read the reviews we missed earlier (along with the pictures).

message 14: by Gary the (last edited Sep 18, 2013 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gary the SophistiCat Thanks Samadrita! You're a loyal friend to this forgetful old man with a photobucket fixation.