Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now!

The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman

Jun 13, 2012

bookshelves: adult, clean, non-fiction

The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! is endorsed by Dr. Oz. When I see Dr. Oz endorse something, I want to read it. Sad, but true. (I hope authors and such realize how seriously the public takes their names on "things").

The Blood Sugar Solution is an education in food! I learned all kinds of things that I never knew. So much, in fact, that it was a bit overwhelming at times. I had no idea that oatmeal for breakfast is bad(not that I eat oatmeal very much), or that rye bread is healthier than whole wheat.

Dr. Hyman recommends going "cold turkey". Go through your kitchen and throw out anything with labels(unless there's less than 5 ingredients on the label, and doesn't contain certain sugary ingredients). No white flour, no white sugar, no processed foods, and no dairy. My kitchen would be drastically more empty if I did that. There's NO doubt whatsoever that going cold turkey is the best way in this case, but I think I need some cooking lessons first(and a lot more money if I'm basicly starting from scratch to re-stock my kitchen). If you decide suddenly to not eat ANY processed foods whatsoever, you better know how to cook! ;) I've been wanting to cut out most of the processed foods we eat around here, and it's just too easy for it to slip back in. A lot in our case! So, again, I do understand the going "cold turkey" thing. If this plan came with a coach, cook, and budget, I'd be all for it!

There's lots of quizzes throughout the book to determine something in your diet you might be lacking or a problem you might have, like a lack of magnesium or a thyroid problem. I'm always skeptical of quizzes. If you start looking up your symptoms online, it seems like it always comes back around to cancer. I honestly do think the quizzes are helpful in this book, though.

There's recipes, online support, and just tons of useful information in here! I recommend it as an education in food and how it affects our health. I take the information that I've read VERY seriously and I do want to put some of it into effect in our lives. But, I'm not completely jumping on the "Blood Sugar Solution" bandwagon. It's a HUGE change, and simply unrealistic for the average person(as far as "cold turkey" goes). Do I think putting this book's advice into practice would result in better health? Of course! Absolutely! But, it will take TONS of work(and money).

Overall, if you're wanting to eat healthier, I definitely recommend picking The Blood Sugar Solution up. I do think it will at least motivate you to get moving in the right direction.

*There's more recipes and information at the website.....http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/. I'm pretty excited about the extra recipes. :)

**I was provided a review copy through B&B Media Group in exchange for my honest opinion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Sugar Solution.