Melissa's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jan 21, 15

bookshelves: ladies-writin
Read in June, 2012

This started out as a five star book & devolved a bit. I'm going to spoil everything, so Kelly, don't read this yet.

(view spoiler)
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kelly haha thanks for warning me! sorry it devolved. still excited to read! only 200 pages to go on american gods...

Melissa You can do it! 200 pages is EASY!

Gone Girl did devolve, but it was still pretty spectacular. Worth ignoring my poor family for the day.

Clawde I was so excited to read this that I actually bought the hard copy. I was disappointed.

Melissa Clawde wrote: "I was so excited to read this that I actually bought the hard copy. I was disappointed."

Oh no, that's a drag. What did you not like about it?

Clawde Hard for me to put in words. I think it went downhill having to read Amy's diary making me believe Nick was suspicious only to reveal Amy as the villain. I guess it had too many ups and downs, back and forth, this one that one! Gave me whiplash.
I have known people who actually posess some of Amy's traits but I just found the whole story lacking believability.
Too bad for me since I loved Sharp Objects and Dark Places, maybe my expectations were too high.

Kelly I hope you like my one sentence esoteric review that makes only me laugh

Melissa Clawde wrote: "Hard for me to put in words. I think it went downhill having to read Amy's diary making me believe Nick was suspicious only to reveal Amy as the villain. I guess it had too many ups and downs, ba..."

I did dislike that her diary was a fake. It seemed so real to me, since I've known a lot of women who take comfort in that "I'm so cool" mentality that lets guys just walk all over them.

Kelly, I do like your one sentence esoteric review that makes only you laugh! How DELIGHTFUL!

Susie I kept finding holes in Amy's 'master plan'. When they first interviewed Desi, wouldn't they have checked for an alibi just in case before they cleared him? (or did I miss that?).. And when Boney did figure it out, couldn't they have proved that the diary wasn't manufactured 7 years ago? I thought the guy from the casino where she met Desi would have come forward.. Or the tapes from there.

I still really liked the book, but things kept popping out at me.

Melissa Yes! What happened to that guy from the casino? I forgot all about him! It seems like he was added just to amp the tension & then he vanished.

message 3: by Mp (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mp Just finished the book. Liked it a lot - different. Will certainly look at all those news stories about husbands killing wives a little differently! I agree it devolved a little and I'm not so sure I like the ending but I disagree with some of the comments about Amy. The thing about people like her - they think other people are stupid and there-in lies their flaw. Their crazy + ego personalities blinds them to the fact that there are people that can see right through them so they don't factor that into the equation. All in all a good psychological read.

message 2: by rachel (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

rachel I was coming here to say I'm glad we agreed on this book (in as much as we were both laughing out loud by the end). But...the guy in the casino! I would have liked this book so much more if (view spoiler)

Melissa rachel wrote: "I would have liked this book so much more if "

Yeah, I agree that would've been a great way to do it! Better than, you know, the actual ending. The guy in the casino drives me nuts the more I think about him. I was in a such a fever to get to the end of the book, it was easy to forget about little irritating issues that came up & never got resolved, but the more chance I've had to reflect the more it bugs me. But you were right in your review, she always has some bizarre twist ending that comes from out of left field.