Ringo The Cat's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, ya, young-adult
Read on July 24, 2012

Some Girls Are will bring out the Uber-Bitch in you if nothing else. In Cracked Up To Be, Courtney Summers already showed she has a knack for writing about high-school dynamics and the evils that especially the Mean Girls are capable of, and in Some Girls Are she shows us the meanies from their worst side. Regina has been frozen out by her former best friend and all around popular yet feared Mean Queen Anna Morrison and her gang of Mean Minions. Mostly, this is Regina’s own damn fault, since one of these Minions (Kara) decides it’s time for her to get in, and for Regina to get out. So that’s basically what happens. Some Girls Are is a summer read, there I said it, but also a great book for the more reluctant readers out there. It’s fast and furious. It definitely has its merits (fairly OK characterization, though somewhat on the stereotypical side; a fluent writing style), but like all summer reads, it’s also fairly forgettable, except for one particular thing: the way Summers talks about the whole high school experience. No, I’m not really talking about the bullying, which is intense, of course, but I am talking about all the “extra-curricular” activities these kids are up to… just like in Cracked Up To Be, it shows how different the high schools are that Summers describes from the high schools I knew (and still know). Must be a cultural thing?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.