Antoinette's Reviews > The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

F 50x66
Jun 13, 2012

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

I read this book for the first time years ago, probably around the time it was published (1999 or so), and I didn't care for it. It sounded (and looked) as though it would be a light chick-litty read. Not so. On the other hand, nor is it a deep, insightful look into single women (or any women, for that matter). A magazine recently (2012) mentioned this book, describing the main character, Jane, as a thirty-something who still doesn't have her life together. Well, that's true. In any case, I decided maybe as a thirty-something myself, I would enjoy the book more a second time around. This was not to be.

First off, the book is incredibly uneven. I'm not sure whether it's meant to be a collection of short stories or a novel with a modicum of continuity, but it falls far short on the latter. I did love Jane's wit, even when she was a teenager. I adored her insight and often-acid tongue. (I've one of those myself--hard to keep in check sometimes.) I still have no idea what the story/chapter about her neighbors has to do with anything, ever. And I guess the story/chapter about "you" having cancer is supposed to be Jane but who knows. Overall this is an odd book. I can't recommend it. Read at your own risk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.