Nicol Althea's Reviews > The Unclaimed Duchess

The Unclaimed Duchess by Jenna Petersen

9205554
I actually wasn't expecting the Duke of Waverly, Rhys Carlisle to be one of the Billingham bastards. He was just so snobby and arrogant, so like his predecessor, that it took me by surprise when the truth came out in the first book. Despite the repercussions that happened after Rhys found out, i'm glad he is one of Billingham's illegitimate sons because his snobbery and arrogance never would have changed if not for that. The truth helped him realize how useless blood and title really are when compared to having Anne's love. It grated on my nerves though how he went on and on about not being good enough for Anne because of his birth. I was also annoyed at how he kept on avoiding her and claiming that he was doing it only to protect her. Don't get me wrong, I did understand his line of thinking but i just happen to agree with Anne's deduction that Rhys was being a coward instead of being selfless. In the end, i was extremely pleased that he got over his obsession of titles and bloodlines and was brave enough to finally fight for Anne's love back.

Anne Carlisle is one admirable girl. She has nursed her one-sided feelings for Rhys for almost two decades, hoping that he would someday return those feelings. Loving someone like Rhys was truly admirable not to mention frustrating because he doesn't deserve it at all. He was too engrossed with birthright, bloodlines and social standing and although he was a loyal friend, Rhys isn't one who easily succumbs to love and passion. In short, the guy was an arrogant snob, and Anne, having pure feelings for him is truly mind boggling. But then, that just proves that she is perfect for Rhys because even at the tender age of 6, she was the only one who saw something more beneath that arrogant snobbery, something worth loving. And that is what makes this girl truly admirable.

All in all, another great book by Jenna Petersen. Although i wasn't able to fully connect with her writing, (which i guess is partly my fault since i've been too busy lately), her characters are very interesting and very easy to love. Again, i applaud the author for delivering us another heart-warming book. And for teaching us that social standing is nothing compared to loving and being loved. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unclaimed Duchess.

06/14/2012
26.0% "Even though i understand Rhys' reasons, i can't help but get annoyed at how he avoids Anne. i prefer my guys honest and open about there feelings for the girl. hmmmpf."
06/15/2012
91.0% "hmmm... i wonder how the author would finally end this book.
"
06/15/2012
97.0% "“Yes. You are. I love you, Rhys. Nothing has ever changed my heart, perhaps nothing ever will, even this. But if you are so willing to throw away the life we could have together..if you are so willing to throw me away after all the times I’ve proven my self to you..then perhaps you don’t deserve me after all. And that has nothing to do with the blood that pumps through your veins or the name you call your self.""
06/15/2012
100.0% "another book done! :)"