Lisa's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle-baby, heroines-i-heart, paranormal, spooky-spooky-woo-woo, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my, young-adult
Read on June 13, 2012, read count: 1

Life's not getting any easier for 15 year old necromancer Chloe Saunders. Having been betrayed by one of the people she trusts the most, she's back under the lock and key of the folks behind Lyle House. After uncovering a few of their less than savoury secrets she's forced to go on the run again, this time with one of the last people she'd have expected as an ally, and try to catch up with Derek and Simon. And life on the road is no less dangerous.

With the stakes thus raised, this instalment is even more exciting with a group dynamic that's refreshingly realistic and increasingly interesting, and I like the way in which Armstrong is developing the bonds between her characters. I have a soft spot for the snarky little witch Tori, and love Derek, the awkward and surly young werewolf with temper issues (and am secretly hoping that he'll learn to deal with his feelings, and that Chloe will return them). I'm also appreciating the small rubs up against the Otherworld series, and hope we might get a cameo in the next instalment.

With the way the books end on cliffhangers it's necessary to read them back to back as one big book, but as I'm sat by a pool with plenty of reading time I'm not complaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.