Chelsey's Reviews > Crow's Landing

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Recommended for: Canadians
Read from June 20 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

I won this book from First Reads on the good reads website. My thanks go out to the website and the publisher for getting the book to me.

Firstly, I confess I did not read the first book in this series. This created a few complications when reading the novel, as I was unsure who all of the characters were and felt like I was missing some backstory on the main characters. After a while though, this no longer mattered.

I really liked the feel of the novel, as I recently moved away from Ontario, this took took me right back there. I felt like I was back at home. Smith does an amazing job of giving a very authentic feel to the setting of the novel. I think that the setting was close enough to Ontario that the descriptions would be similar. I loved the pictures he paints about the water, the country, the farms, etc. I thought all of the description of the setting was immaculately done. I think anyone from Canada, especially from Ontario, would love this novel. It really hit home with me.

Another aspect of the novel I really liked was the way it was set up. The first part of the novel was written in the way that the movies Love Actually, Valentine's Day, or New Year's Eve would have been written. There are a mass of characters, each with their own story, and you have to continually try to figure out how they all fit into place (with each other). About halfway through the book, you have all the character's places figured out, finally. Also, you don't quite get the dramatic surprise ending like you would in the above mentioned movies, but I still enjoyed the intertwining plot lines and guessing how the character would fit in originally.

One thing I feel that I have to comment on even though it's not customary in a book review is the layout. I think one of the most important aspects to this book that I liked was the layout. Layout is a very important thing for me when reading a book. I like semi-short chapters so I feel like I'm accomplishing something when reading. I don't like to have to squint to read really small print, and the size of this text was excellent. I also like when novels have enough space between the writing and the spine of the book so that when you put your thumb in to separate the pages while reading, you don't block out parts of the text. This novel gave me the perfect length chapters, not too small writing, and enough space to comfortably hold the book when reading. Overall, the layout of the novel is spectacular (and I hope they don't change it in the new release since I only have the advance reader's edition).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow's Landing.

06/21/2012 page 25

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber It does have a very Canadian feel doesn't it? The book's set in Albany, New York though. Perhaps because it's easier to get drugs across the border in Mexico and different, less tight laws.

Chelsey Amber wrote: "It does have a very Canadian feel doesn't it? The book's set in Albany, New York though. Perhaps because it's easier to get drugs across the border in Mexico and different, less tight laws."

Ahaha good point.