Brandi's Reviews > Killbox

Killbox by Ann Aguirre

Jun 16, 2012

it was ok
Read from June 13 to 15, 2012

Man oh man, did this book ever annoy the crap out of me.

While I still enjoy the series, this book has my fangirl status on hiatus. Much the same way that March places his love life at every possible turn.

So this story revolves around the growing Morgut threat, and how Jax, March, and everyone else (plus some random new guy who I can't figure out but seems to be all powerful) set out to fight them. The alliance with Ithiss-Tor is a go, and the Conglomerate is trying to make a comeback after being dormant and useless for so long. The focus in this whole book is military and war efforts, and instead of it being believable, it became a source of intense annoyance for me.

One of the things I am so very sick of is the way March and Jax are broken apart in every book!!! The issues are just total bullshit in my opinion. This time it's that they are going to war and March is a higher rank than her. He doesn't want to have the other people thinking she's getting special treatment because they are lovers (married more like from the way they talk). This is bogus because they are building the fucking armada themselves!!!! So it's not as if they built it, it was functioning properly for years, and then BAM! The head honcho screws an underling. It was a known relationship to everybody before there was any real war effort. Ugh, just pissed me off so very, very much. I could not see Barrons or Curran ever doing that to their women.

Another thing that I really took issue with was March giving Jax the title of Lieutenant Commander, and then referring to her as LC. Are you fucking kidding me?! That is so disrespectful, and then to have the entire crew refer to her as such grated on my last nerve every time I was forced to read it. Every. Time.

Further into my unhappiness with this book is how March tells Jax they can't be together and blah blah blah, but when they doc on Venice Minor he gets it on with her ASAP! Then rationalizes it that they're on leave so it's ok. Because that makes total fucking sense. Except it doesn't. I don't even want to keep explaining why that issue pissed me off so bad because I'm still too pissed off about it. March was on shaky ground with me on the last book (well and the end of book two in fairness), but this one got his ass kicked off my favorite male list in a hurry. Why isn't Jax with Vel at this point anyway?! How many times does she have to allude to him being more than a friend and what not before we are taken on that ride?!

I read a great review that pointed out how Aquirre has limited herself to the first person in a bad way. She actually has Jax spying on her crew mates just so that we get to hear little tidbits and whatever they're discussing. Doc and Rose in particular annoyed me because Rose was so hateful towards Jax (and without good reason for the record) and then suddenly all this time seems to pass on ship and she's left with only Jax as a friend. So of course Jax has to spy on her to learn the outcome of what was confided to her. Of course.

And just for the record, all the times that Jax has said how she is bad luck, or has brought such hardships to people/places, or that she should be treated like shit (like during the underground scenes on Lanchion) I don't get any of that. It's annoying! She didn't know about the issues on Lanchion when she landed and was attacked right then, so how could they sit there and blame HER and then she AGREES?! Those things annoy the crap out of me.

There are still things that I like, as in Dina, and there are still humorous moments from time to time. Then there's the fact that we do get to see Jax evolve as a that's all good...but overall this book was not only the weakest, but had I not had hope the last books would be better I might just drop it. It took forever to read too when the other three were eaten up so fast.

I've got nothing else, lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killbox.

68.0% "I've got to call total bullshit on March calling Jax JC. That is just disrespectful, and not the way she would be addressed at all. In fact, this whole line of plot is pissing me off. A lot. March is off my list. And dumb." 4 comments

Catie Wow, you had a lot of really interesting things to say! I will be back to discuss once I've read this, but great review! I am bummed about March, Bring on VEL!

message 3: by Emily May (new)

Emily May This makes me sad :( But really great review, I also wondered if Aquirre was going to be able to sustain the realism with the 1st person + whole bunch of characters thing she had going on. I thought she handled it well in the first two books, but I guess it was only a matter of time before the spying started *sigh*

SubterraneanCatalyst As much as I LOVE this series, I totally agree with you thoroughly. This was definitely a low point for March and Jax, and hell, really, there are a lot of those amiright?
HAHAH @ your Vel comment. Well then, sorry this book pissed your rocket off to launch but as much as all of these things did thoroughly nag at me, I am still invested in this series whole heartily. I must see it to its end. Corine Solomon's universe..BORING /sigh.

Brandi Thanks ladies! I'm just so disappointed with this one. I haven't started the next one yet, but I think I'll be opening that one up tonight. Have been doing fun outdoorsy stuff all weekend and didn't want to start it last night.

And ya know, the spying part, I had assumed would be something along the lines of Jax walking into a room and not being noticed right away, and therefore "spied", but it's actual on purpose spying she does! March even calls her out on it! Just made me shake my head. Hopefully the next book will make up for it.

Brandi I totally forgot to add in my review about how Jax seems to look up to Mair. She makes comments about how amazing she was, and generally just can't believe how she's gone now, but she knew her all of five minutes and in that time was not met with any friendliness. Because there's another example of people, and Jax, blaming her for their current predicament that Jax knew nothing about. It was this quote though that really tipped me over the annoyance edge. Mair did, I expect. I find traces of her in everything we do, as if she looked forward and anticipated what we might need.

She finds traces of her everywhere?! She didn't even know her! I don't understand how she can have these thoughts that can only be described as grief over her loss, when she didn't even know her! Mair had zero impact on her life prior to the five minutes spent taking Jax from the landing pad thing to the shelter. That's all.