Bonnie Gayle's Reviews > First Among Sequels

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

Sep 21, 07

bookshelves: fantasy-sf, mysteries-thrillers, reviewed, series-in-progress
Recommended for: fans of the rest of the series
Read in September, 2007

Well, it was certainly wonderful to be back in the world of Jasper Fforde and Thursday Next again. I won't try to summarize the book, you just kind of have to read it, but I will say that this book has just as much twists and turns and humor, and love for books, and nail biting close calls, and things you never could have seen coming as the previous...and what a cliff hanger ending! I hope the next book is out really soon!
I only had 2 picky problems with it. The first was that it took a REALLY long time to get going. The first 1/3 of the book is Thursday showing her trainee Bookworld, (actually a way to refresh the readers memory if they hadn't read, or recently reread the past books) but I felt that it went on a little too long, and I started thinking, "okay! Let's get into it now! We're running out of book!" But once the book started rolling, it was a hold-on-tight roller coaster ride, especially the last 1/3!
My other problem with it was that it was a bit repetitive. I swear the pre-chapter info blurbs were recycled from past books: some seemed mighty familiar! Also the descriptions of how HUGE everything was in Bookworld got a little redundant. It even says in the book, something like "since everything was on a large scale in Bookworld, it would be redundant to describe how huge each new thing was"...and then it did a few more times!
Other than my 2 picky problems, it was fantastic to be back in Thursday Next's world, which is so one-of-a-kind, and is just everything that a reader loves to read rolled into one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Among Sequels.