Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Scott Holst

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, vampires, 2012, adult-lit, paranormal, audio-book
Read from July 03 to August 09, 2012 — I own a copy

I liked Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It was a fun listen.

It felt very much like an actual biography of Abraham Lincoln, but with vampires thrown in. If it were not for the vampires, I would have sworn I was listening to an actual biography of Abraham Lincoln. I'm not sure how much research the author did, but it really felt like he knew his stuff.

I really liked how vampires were the basis for Lincoln running for senate and president, and that it's the basis for the civil war. It's a really interesting take on Lincoln, the civil war and slavery, and I really want to read up on the civil war now.

I thought Holst did a great job of narrating the book, and it didn't feel like it was 10 hours long.

I only have a couple complaints. One: there was not as much vampire-hunting as I expected. I don't know why but I was thinking it would be more about him as a vampire-hunter...instead it ended up being more about why he didn't like vampires.

And two: I wasn't a fan of the ending. Abraham Lincoln becomes a vampire because Henry doesn't want an interesting man to die. It just doesn't fit. And not only that but after the build-up of a struggling writer getting Lincoln's journals and writing his story, we get absolutely nothing about what happens afterwards.

It gets a 3 out of 5. It was entertaining but not spectactular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.