Amie Cross's Reviews > Chasing Magic

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

Jun 28, 2012

Read from June 25 to 27, 2012

Chess and Terrible must find out who is tainting the local drug supply and turning the Downside's addicts into mind controlled zombieish freaks. They work side by side throughout which leads to many tender moments between them and lots of hotter than hell HOT.

The starring role of Chasing Magic goes to the Downside itself. We get to hang out at the market, Bump's place (God how I love his disgusting ass), the docks, and of course Tricksters. There is an abundance of great street names including Burnjack, Yellow Pete, Greenback, Rickride, the list goes on and on.

Stacia Kane has carefully held our hands and lead us through Chess and Terrible's fascinating and violent world. Not anymore. This book is a finger in your face triumph that explains why this series is one of the greatest urban fantasies out there. My mind is always challenged long after I finish these books. There are so many unsettling themes that aren't always fun to think about: class division, the role of goverment and religion in society, corruption from greed, the many aspects of addiction. She weaves everything seamlessly into the story without preaching or telling you how to feel. To me, that's a testament of a great writer.

There's a rumor going around that this might be the last US Downside book. To that I say Oh Hell to the No!!!!!!!!!! From this day forward I will pray to the book publishing powers that be to give Stacia Kane a gazillion bucks and whatever artistic freedom she needs to keep this series going. Needless to say I am as bad off as Chess without her Cepts. I must have more.

Awesome quote: "Flesh was a hell of a prison."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Magic.

Quotes Amie Liked

Stacia Kane
“I ain't...Don't know how to say it up right. Never--Fuck, Chess. Thought you was dead once before, you recall? Never felt so bad in my life, not ever. Then on the other day, thought you was gone and just....I can't do it, bein without you.”
Stacia Kane, Chasing Magic