Kristen's Reviews > Grave Surprise

Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: mystery, supernatural, fiction
Read from June 12 to 13, 2012, read count: 1

I kind of went crazy and read all four Harper Connelly books in less than 24 hours. This means I have full knowledge of how the series ends as I'm writing these reviews, and that makes it hard to not spoil. If you're like me and hate any and all mention of a book before you read it, run away now.

I really, thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought the set-up for the mystery was much stronger here than it had been in Grave Sight, and added to the already strong characters and overall idea, it made it an amazing read.

First off, the beginning scene was awesome and I loved it and I thought that Harris did an amazing job with the writing there, which is always the case in her books. The mystery unfolds in a great way, and I was kept guessing as I went along, twists were introduced, threads were brought together... everything a good mystery should have was in here. One complaint on the plot of this book (and the others, to be honest) is that there is always a moment where they make a tremendously horrendous decision and it is the key event that drives some part of the plot... but there is no reason for these savvy characters to be so ridiculous (view spoiler)

Since I read all the other books immediately after this one (going on to 5am; I am a freak), I honestly can't remember what I thought about the characters and dynamics, except that I enjoy Manfred because he should be slapped and then sexed up immediately. There is also a lot of development of Harper's relationship with her brother, Tolliver. This is all kind a limbo in this book; they are in the same place as in Grave Sight and I still love them.

But that has to be discussed in my review of (view spoiler).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Surprise.

06/12/2012 page 68
22.0% "Either Harper or Harris has a thing about pregnancy that is kind of funny. Awesome introduction and the mystery is already established and getting sticky. A strong start."