Susan's Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2012

i have never read anything quite like this before. this is such an "adult" YA novels,and the characters depicted in the book are really realistic; the kind of people that you actually encounter on daily basis in your life. the dialogues also make sense, the kind of stuff that you actually say to others in a conversation, not those one line witty banter that doesn't happen in real life,if rarely. another plus point,in YA novels,usually, there would always be a part about apparaising the physical attractiveness of the characters, and such and such, and it just gets to the point of being very predictable and annoying. Ryan and Carly weren't put that way in the book, and it was very refreshing to read. the writing itself is very straight - forward, nothing about beating around the bush to get the point across. i really liked it, i could conjure up whatever kind of situation in the book easily in my head, and being straight - forward didn't make this book lose the appeal to be boring. it enhanced it. i was very glad i found this book, such a gem among all the mainstream YA novels nowadays.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

Quotes Susan Liked

Kirsty Eagar
“Once they know they've got a hold of your shame, they can shake it out and hold it up for the all world to see. And you become less than it. You become something disgusting.”
tags: shame

Kirsty Eagar
“Shame isn't a quiet grey cloud, shame is a drowning man who claws his way on top of you, scratching and tearing your skin, pushing you under the surface.”
tags: shame

Kirsty Eagar
“I let myself feel good for no reason. I let joy happen right there and then, and it's inside me and around me, it's the lights on the road ahead, the clean black of the night, the cold air coming through the window. It's like hearing a song for the first time and being struck by it, haunted by it, wanting to hunt it down and catch it, because the song sums up something you didn't know you wanted to say, giving you chills and goose bumps. But even as you find out what it's called, and you're thinking you'll download it, you've already lost. Because the feeling was right then and there and it's already fading like a dream.

You just have to see those times for what they are: a chance to look down at your life. And when you do, you see it's a skin made up of shiny little moments.”

“But you’re happy, eh?’
I blink at her, surprised. She’s right.
My happiness is crunchy. Snapping, crackling and popping in the sun.”

“Oi!’
I drop in on him the first chance I get.
Round three. There’s one coming on the inside and I start paddling for it. He starts for it too, telling me, ‘It’s mine, sunshine.’
‘Get stuffed.’
As I feel the surge take my board, he grins across at me. ‘Split it?’
So we split the peak, he goes left and I go right, and I know, like me, he’s thinking, How good is this?”

Kirsty Eagar
“8 is just an infinity symbol the right way up.”

Kirsty Eagar
“And that's humbling, knowing that your voice can mean so much to another person.”