Betty's Reviews > The Woman at the Light

The Woman at the Light by Joanna Brady

Oct 28, 12

Read from June 12 to 18, 2012

Update -- My book group met to discuss this book today (Oct 27). Everyone LOVED it! They loved the strong female lead character, the historical aspects of the story, all the research that went into it. One of our members is from New Orleans so of course she loved the New Orleans portions. We discussed the deceitfulness of Dorothy. Pedro was an interesting character for us. We all agreed that we liked him though.
*****************
I loved this book! Joanna Brady did extensive research on the history of the Florida Keys and the lighthouse keepers and some history of Cuba. Some of the characters in this book were real people. It was interesting reading of the difficulties the lighthouse keepers had to deal with -- the difficult work of maintaining the lighthouse, hurricanes, Seminole wars, wreckers, and, most all, the isolation.

Emily, the heroine of the story, was a strong woman and “ahead of her time”. She was against slavery although her family had owned slaves. She did not let others make decisions for her. When her husband disappeared, she insisted on taking his job as the lighthouse keeper at Wreckers Cay even though she had three small children.

Each chapter of this book held me in its grasp. The characters were well-developed. The story moved at a good pace, giving some interesting aspects of our country’s history. A very enjoyable book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman at the Light.