Bookworm007's Reviews > Prophecy

Prophecy by Ellen Oh

Jul 17, 13

Who else thinks this is a copycat of Graceling?

I'm pretty sure Prophecy can be rewritten like this (bolded = Graceling copied, underlined = substituted with Graceling aspects):

"The greatest warrior in all of the Seven Kingdoms . . . is a girl with green and blue eyes.

Katsa's the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s best friend. She’s the king's thug and an outcast, feared by nearly everyone in her home kingdom of Middluns. And, she’s their only hope. . . .

Kidnaped grandfathers and tyrannical rulers point to a possible war, sending Katsa on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of their Graces, Katsa must battle giant bears, brainwashed civilians, and the Twisted King himself to find what was once lost and raise a princess into a queen.

Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy."

So yeah, that's that.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophecy.

07/11/2013 marked as: to-read
07/17/2013 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Kait (new)

Kait I was thinking the same thing reading this description. Sounds like an over-done rip off of Graceling.

message 6: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna I thought exactly the same thing - but I want to be optimistic. I want this to be its OWN book so I can love it.

Halley Todd I was thinking it kind of sounded like the Song of Ice and Fire, too, what with the whole Dragon Prophecy and missing treasure of myth and an army of demons.

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy i read it and really enjoyed it! (i was lucky enough to be asked to blurb the debut.) and no, it didn't remind me of graceling. there are many fantasies that share similar elements (i LOVE eyes and talk eyes in my own novels), but ellen oh's setting, inspired by ancient korea, really sets the book apart. i'm a fan of cashore, and i honestly didn't even draw the parallel once.

message 3: by flared (new)

flared 0ne "formulaic" is hard to avoid, but THAT tight a match leaves no alternative interpretation.

Caitlin the description may make it sound like that but remember that descriptive copy can be pretty off. I think that actually the setting is really grounded in ancient Korea (this is obvious, they give you map and everything) and the book as a whole does not seem much like Graceling at all, for better or for worse.

Katie (Books and Katie) This book was written before Graceling. Just so you know.