Sendhil's Reviews > The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone - Especially Ourselves

The Honest Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2012

A fast, interesting read. Besides the content - which extends on his previous books with a particular focus on people's cheating behavior and the factors that make it more or less likely - I found it particularly valuable to see the dynamics of his work: the interplay among research, consulting, and work with students; the networks of collaborations among fields, experts, and friends; and the development of a coherent program of research teasing apart new variables, contexts, and connections while using consistent instruments and habits of mind. I was left feeling like psychology was actually a science, and also somewhat dissatisfied with my first exposure to the field. (It also made me think that your standard college survey course, even in physics, does a terrible job of showing the scientific part - doing science - by comparison to a dump of content, whether facts, names, history, or laws.) He elides a lot of the cleverness required to devise his experimental designs, but I got a flavor of it; he also leaves out all of the complexity of analyzing the data, and I was left very curious about how to do that, and even more, how one learns to do that (other than going through graduate school in psychology). So, quite glad I picked it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Honest Truth About Dishonesty.