Aida Manduley's Reviews > Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud About Senior Sex

Naked at Our Age by Joan Price

Jun 15, 12

Read in June, 2012

Quick opinion: Good overall read with some very valuable information for anyone who is or plans to be an elder, but it got to be pretty repetitive after a while around certain themes; there are only so many times I can read about how old age can bring an appreciation for "full-body sensuality/sexuality"! This is a book you can skim a bit to find the gems in.

The text brings in voices of experts in the fields of sexuality, but even more heavily relies on people's personal experiences with aging and sexuality. Instead of speaking FOR people without knowing them or just highlighting "professionals," it takes people's lived experiences and places them front and center, and even establishes a kind of dialogue when responding to people who wrote in for inclusion in the book (so great job on that). There is some fascinating information about how cancer can affect sexuality, which, as someone who hasn't experienced cancer, was all new to me. The book also discusses the impact of dementia, Alzheimer's, death, erectile dysfunction, and a lot of other issues that can happen as people age, but by no means is it a "downer" of a book. It also had lots of valuable tips on how to stay safe and sexually healthy well into one's "golden years."

While representation of certain communities isn't as high as maybe it would've been lovely to see, there's definitely inclusion of people who are queer, non-monogamous, kinky, and/or HIV+, so there's a little something for everyone. The book definitely leans more in the direction of looking at sex in the later years as this slow, sensual, potentially magical/transformative/spiritual thing, but there are voices that speak about different relationships to their sex lives (and having different desires).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked at Our Age.