Laura's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

bookshelves: owned, favorites, lent-out
Recommended to Laura by: Chicks on Lit group read
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

I just can't say enough about this book. I don't usually like WWII fiction, but this book is making me re-think that. A book for book-lovers, a book for someone who has always wanted to write a book, a book for lovers, for friends, for the historical fiction lover, a book of connection, a book of everything. Just everything. Read this book. You won't be sorry.
25 likes · Likeflag

Sarah I just ordered this book from Doubleday. I got a notice this morning saying they shipped it. I'm so excited!!

Laura Oh Sarah, you're going to LOVE it. Keep me posted?? I'm interested to see what you think.

Sarah Sure! I'll read it as soon as it gets here. :)

Kathy I'm about half way through and am loving this book. I like the way it's done in letters..it feels very personal.

Laetitia I loved your review. You encapsulated it perfectly. I was the same, a reader who normally shied away from World War anything books but I could not put this down and will remember it forever.

Laura Thanks, Laetitia! It is in my all-time Top 5! What a terrific book.

Fiona Finally, I'm reading it. I just hope I like it... did you say it takes 20 pages to get into it?

Laura Yeah, I'd give it 20 or so pages. You may be sucked in before that.

Laetitia Totally, the characters are so vivid you won't be able to resist.

Robin I finished this the other night and just posted my own review. I too really liked it and put it on my recommend list.

Wife of fantasy author: Michael J. Sullivan
The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008) | Avempartha (April 2009)
Reviews: Fantasy Book Critic | Odysssey | Amazon | MidWest Book Review | Huntress Reviews

message 11: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky I now have this book at my house but am working on some library books before I start it. Have any of you read The Book Thief? It's WW2 fiction and it's one of my favorite books of all time. The narrator is Death, not a person but the concept.

Laura Yes, Becky, and it's a terrific book! Love it, and love Zusak by the way. I am the Messenger, also by Zusak, is another terrific book.