Auntee's Reviews > Call of the Witches

Call of the Witches by Laura Stamps

Oct 16, 08

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Recommended for: Fans of feel-good romance (with some hot sex!)
Read in October, 2008

This is a sweet romance between Maylene Whitmire, a beautiful red-haired Wiccan Witch prone to attracting bad-news boyfriends, and sexy Green Witch Blaine Rutledge--possibly one of the nicest, sweetest Beta heroes ever created, and about as far from a bad-news boyfriend as you're ever going to get.

Maylene and her frisky cat, Apollo, are recent arrivals to steamy Columbia, S.C., and Maylene runs her own online business selling Pagan merchandise. She's fed up with her love life, and all the loser boyfriends she's had in the past, so she follows the advice of her patron Goddess, Artemis, and takes a two year vow of celibacy to get her act together. She decides to live by her rules of empowerment when she's ready to get involved with a man again. Besides being Pagan, any man she dates must now: listen to her and care about her feelings and opinions; have high self-esteem; not be needy or encourage co-dependency; not lie or be verbally abusive; be able to commit; not need fixing or changing. Sounds good--now where can she find a man like this?

How about right down the street? Imagine Maylene's surprise when what looks like the perfect man unexpectedly walks into her life, helping her friends Savannah and Donnie plant their backyard garden. Blaine is Donnie's cousin; he works at a nursery, loves to garden and cook, and lives in a beautifully restored house. And he's just Maylene's type--tall, long-haired, lean, and sexy. They find they have a lot in common-- coming from similar backgrounds, and are instantly smitten, but darn, Maylene's got two months to go on that pesky vow of celibacy! Will Maylene be able to keep her vow, or will sweet, sexy Blaine be too much to resist?

This is what I would call a feel-good romance. There's no real conflict or misunderstandings between the H/H. They are two really nice people who you wouldn't mind having as friends. This book shows a slice of every day life of a Wiccan Witch who's trying to make some positive changes in her life, and how she goes about it. And in the process she learns that she can now trust her judgment when it comes to men.

Don't worry that you have to be up on all the Wiccan lingo or Paganism to enjoy this book, because it is basically a hot romance, whose characters just happen to be Pagan.

And speaking of hot romance, it was very surprising. What started out as a PG-rated romance suddenly morphed into R-rated territory, especially when Maylene started having erotic dreams about Blaine! And when Maylene and Blaine FINALLY got together for real, the sex scenes were smokin' hot! Who knew mild-mannered Blaine could be that hot?!

There is also a preview of the next book in a spin-off series, when we meet the characters of Sara and Dray at the big Samhain (Halloween) party near the end of the book. Looks very promising!

If you like a feel-good romance, where the characters genuinely like and respect each other as well as have some hot romantic encounters, then this is a book that you'd enjoy. It left me with a warm, satisfied feeling, and most importantly, I wanted to read more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call of the Witches.

10/14/2008 page 1
10/14/2008 page 59
21.22% "It's starting to heat up..."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura You did it!!! You got it up!!! Thank you so much!! It looks fabulous too.

Wow, talk about making my day. *big smile*

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Paranormal Romance and Erotica Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (to read excerpts from my novel series)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Auntee Glad to assist!:D

Julie (jjmachshev) Already on my wish list!! Great review

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Nice review Auntee!

message 5: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim Wow! I can't wait to read this series! Great Reveiw -

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Awesome review, Auntee! Wow, I'm so glad you liked it. Your comments just made my day!!! I'm going to send you a PM later.

But in the meantime, check out my LJ blog today. Yesterday it was about what Donnie looks like. Today it is Noelle. And as usual, you are soooo right about what my characters would look like in real life!! *big smile*

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Paranormal Romance and Erotica Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (to read excerpts from my novel series)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)