Trunatrschild's Reviews > Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby

Oct 07, 08

bookshelves: traditional-witchcraft

Wilby's Masters Thesis. She wades through witchcraft trial records for the REAL witches that the English Church and state were pretty good at catching. Her thesis is that cunningfolk were a leftover idea from a previous shamanistic religion. Maybe, not sure if she proved it as well as her predecessor Carlos Ginzburg did, but she was dealing with England, he, Eastern Europe and Italy. Very interesting and obviously accounts by witches who just didn't lie while being tortured, but true accounts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trunatrschild Galinda? who is Galind? you mean Glinda the Good? Yes. exactly thus. Glida the good is the EPITOME of witchcraft! :D

Trunatrschild Oh I have the darn book too! :D I have a stack of books to read! *sigh* It's hard for me to remember back when I couldn't afford to keep myself in books... when was that?
Damn school!

Trunatrschild Yes, I've heard of Wicked.... I should read it! I own it! :D I will... I will....

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine I was in the bookstore yesterday and saw that the Lions version is out now too. I know that's not about witches but thought I'd throw that out there.