Crystal Starr Light's Reviews > League of Strays

League of Strays by L.B. Schulman
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3990525
's review
Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: young-adult, not-my-thing

7/17/12
Back on the list because of new information. Was moved to "not for me" because book didn't seem like something I would care to read.
5 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read League of Strays.
sign in »

Reading Progress

09/20/2013 marked as: not-happening
10/01/2013 marked as: yes-to-monkeys
10/01/2013 marked as: yes-to-monkeys
12/04/2013 marked as: not-my-thing

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am curious, what exactly did the author do? The one comment from her I've seen was about her daughter's review not being a sock puppet review? Am I missing something?


Crystal Starr Light Tatiana wrote: "I am curious, what exactly did the author do? The one comment from her I've seen was about her daughter's review not being a sock puppet review? Am I missing something?"

There is that; I also see that the author seems to somewhat stalk her book. I just couldn't review a book, knowing the author would head on over and try to "clarify" things in my review that I found a problem.

However, compared to the brou-ha-has earlier in the year, this is small potatoes.


message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I've seen this book ending up on various do-not-read shelves all day long. How sad that all it takes to ruin an author's reputation these days is for her to defend her daughter's GR account's legitimacy...


Crystal Starr Light Tatiana wrote: "I've seen this book ending up on various do-not-read shelves all day long. How sad that all it takes to ruin an author's reputation these days is for her to defend her daughter's GR account's legit..."

True enough. There are a few authors I've put on the Do Not Read list and I wonder if maybe I should give them a second chance...maybe I'll come back in a few months and put these authors back into my reading sights.


Crystal Starr Light Tatiana wrote: "I've seen this book ending up on various do-not-read shelves all day long. How sad that all it takes to ruin an author's reputation these days is for her to defend her daughter's GR account's legit..."

Now, if the daughter was using her account to upvote positive reviews for her mother's book, that is wrong, but you can't blame the author for that, can you? And if the daughter wasn't using her account like that, when is it wrong for family of an author to have a Goodreads account?


message 7: by Tatiana (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:50PM) (new)

Tatiana I am straining to see anything negative in an author's friend or family member having a Goodreads account and liking the author's book and voting for its positive reviews. I love plenty of books and constantly vote on the reviews I agree with, how is that different? It's one person who supports her family member/friend's work. There are hardly ANY reviews of this book besides those caused by this latest "scandal," so what kind of effect does this daughter's account truly have, even if we assume she was upvoting. Upvoting what?

Obviously, having an organized campaign to down- and upvote reviews is a completely different story.

Here I fail to see the author's fault.


message 8: by Isis (new)

Isis *rubs temples* My head hurts with all these kerfuffles.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you Tatiana. I mean, I wouldn't give the author any awards and maybe I disagree with some of her comments but...oh well?

My personal threshold for getting mad is pretty high though.


message 10: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May I removed this from my TBR because of an entirely different reason - the reason I thought everyone else was doing it also: http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/...

Read the spoilers in the comments.


curious little beastie Yeah, the reason I put it on my TBR is because of the status Emily just linked. I was absolutely offended by the material in the book. I wasn't even aware all this drama was going on.


message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I certainly abandoned and lost interest in books for less. But the majority of comments and pre-emptive reviews have been accusing the author of bad behavior and bigotry when evidently there wasn't any. I am not sure how she can be accused of being a gay-hater or whatnot when nobody seems to have finished the novel to see where the author was going with that particular plot line.


message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Same reason for me. The subject matter does not interest me in the least bit and was the reason for me adding it to my not interested list in the first place.


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. From what I've been able to gather, the point of the controversial scene is that if you take revenge on a bully by bullying him, you're still a bully. As far as it goes, seems sound to me.

But I know lots of people just have kneejerk reactions to certain material. Like writing about something means approving of it, no matter what.

And at least, as problems go, it's about the book itself.


Crystal Starr Light Well, all these conversations have definitely convinced me to take this author off my "authors to avoid". That doesn't seem fair to the author. I'm still not interested in reading this particular book.


message 16: by Emily May (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:08PM) (new) - added it

Emily May I think I gave the wrong impression about why I removed this. I have no reason to think the author herself is a gay-hater seeing as I haven't read it and the review I've read is by someone who didn't actually finish it. I'm just not ready to read about homophobia at this moment because my brother recently came out and I'm a bit more sensitive about it right now - whether it happens to be the author or character opinion.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. I was on Schulman's side all through the LEAGUE OF STRAYS fiasco. I was really upset to see so many people condemn the book without reading it, based on a plot point that most seemed to misinterpret.

I stand corrected.


Crystal Starr Light Madame X wrote: "Wow. I was on Schulman's side all through the LEAGUE OF STRAYS fiasco. I was really upset to see so many people condemn the book without reading it, based on a plot point that most seemed to misinterpret.

I stand corrected. "


I know. I had originally shelved this "Do Not Read" because of her commenting and the possibility of "sock puppets"--oddly enough, not because of the book's plot. I even praised her blog for her mature, professional invitation to discuss her plot.

This most recent turn of events just sickens me. I'm hoping that she will clarify (I've already jumped to conclusions once, I don't want to do it again).


message 20: by Emily May (last edited Jul 17, 2012 11:32AM) (new) - added it

Emily May Oh my god. I'm kind of regretting sticking up for her now... anyone who supports that site is at best stupid, at worst a complete asshole.

Edit: I'm also stunned that someone who wrote a book about not bullying bullies would support this :/


Crystal Starr Light Emily wrote: "Oh my god. I'm kind of regretting sticking up for her now... anyone who supports that site is at best stupid, at worst a complete asshole.

Edit: I'm also stunned that someone who wrote a book about not bullying bullies would support this :/ "


I know what you mean; I keep hoping to see something that clarifies this tweet.

And it is too bad that someone who wrote about how bad being a bully is would support a site that bullies reviewers. A shame.


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

She left an anonymous comment on the Stop the GR Bullies site. If you're familiar with the scandal, she is clearly identifiable.

Link: http://stopthegrbullies.com/what-is-a...

Comment, copied and pasted:

You can add me to this list. It’s very fresh and I ‘d be happy to discuss it with you. Of course, I wasn’t expecting it, and given that they targeted my debut novel within a day of it coming out as a Netgalley ARC made it hurt all the more. I am mostly over it now and it has died down, but I think this is a wonderful idea. Part of the problem is that not everyone should get a Netgalley ARC. These people need to be screened better. Ironically, my YA is about bullying, so now at least I have personal experience to share with my readers….

Maybe it's not her? Maybe someone is impersonating her? But it kind of sounds like her, insofar as it sounds kind of sane and rational to me. Except the comment is explicitly praising the Bullies site and was left on July 12, well after the site had decided to name-and-shame a select number of reviewers.


Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books I put it on my "i-don-t-think-so-shelf" meaning that the book is just not for me. Margaret atwood is on that list too because I can't read her books without getting a headache, I have nothing against her, I just don't like her writing style. I gave the author of this the benefit of the doubt the first time round but now I think she may have to go on the dingoes list. I'll wait and see what happens.


Crystal Starr Light I think this is just madness. I had more respect for her before this whole tweet/comment business. And while I wouldn't have been likely to read her book, I certainly wouldn't have been opposed to reading something she wrote in the future. Now, I don't want to have anything to do with her.

I'm fully prepared to take her off the "do not read" and "authors to avoid"' lists if she comes back and clarifies the tweet. But if she did make that comment on the StopGRBullies site, I somewhat doubt she will :P


Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books @ Madame X: Interesting. Thanks for sharing.


message 26: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ Oh wow. The author staying silent -- even after it should have become perfectly clear to her that the site is not as advertised -- says quite a bit too. I hope she realizes how easy it is to be misled when you let your personal hatred of a few (those who didn't like her book) color your better judgement about the basic morality of right and wrong. Did she really think -- even for one second -- that the creation of *any* website could really stop all of the GR reviewers from posting comments that might make some authors unhappy campers?


Crystal Starr Light ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Did she really think -- even for one second -- that the creation of *any* website could really stop all of the GR reviewers from posting comments that might make some authors unhappy campers?"

It really is a shame; I thought her professionalism in the light of the controversy was laudable. And then she has to go and do a 180 by supporting that horrible site. I don't know why she thought posting that Tweet was a good idea--I think it's done more harm than anything she wrote in her book.


back to top