Barbara's Reviews > Objects of My Affection

Objects of My Affection by Jill Smolinski

F_50x66
Jun 12, 12

Read in June, 2012

“Objects of My Affection”
By Jill Smolinski

“Objects of My Affection” by Jill Smolinski is a novel that combines a professional organizer, a hoarder, a drug addict, romance, potential suicide and much more. At first glance, the novel seems to be an easy, entertaining read. Not so. After a few chapters, the real story begins to make the reader consider her life and objects with a new mindset.

Lucy Bloom is a broke, single parent who has been recently dumped by her boyfriend. She is forced to sell her home in order to pay for her son’s drug rehab. Could her life get any worse? She is determined to begin her life anew, better, and without the troubles of the past few years. Having gained recognition as an organizer from a book she authored, she is offered a high paying job as a personal organizer. She is hired to help clear the massive clutter from the home of a well known but reclusive artist, Marva Meier Rios. Through the trials of trying to get Marva to relinquish her beloved items she and Lucy form an unlikely bond as the each learn from the other.

Told with humor and interesting characters, “Objects” are what the story is about. Do you want to be a scavenger on the look-out for collectables or even valuables? Especially if you can “steal” them from the unknowing and unwary, therefore making you the “winner”? How important is “stuff” in our life?

“Objects of My Affection” is one of the better novels of this season. It is definitely a book that you can take on vacation and become absorbed in, yet you can read a little here and a little there without losing track of the story. In addition to being a good read this book may give you a little insight in how to declutter your own house, not to mention, what being a collector means to someone and those around them.
Cassandra
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Objects of My Affection.