Alisha Marie's Reviews > Baby Proof

Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Oct 07, 08

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in July, 2008

Claudia Parr and her husband Ben have agreed on one substantial thing in their marriage and that is: that they do not want kids. This novel follows what happens after Ben decides that he wants children after all. Claudia who is as adamant as ever that she does not want children moves out of their apartment and the divorce proceedings begin.

"Baby Proof" examines exactly what is happily ever after. Is it having the white picket fence with the little dog and the 2.5 children? Or is just having your significant other enough to make life meaningful and significant.

I liked the fact that it was the woman who didn't want children, since it usually is the man that doesn't want to be tied down in that way. I personally want children, but I don't think another woman's life won't be meaningful if she doesn't have children. I liked that Giffin understood that and didn't make Claudia apologize for the fact that she didn't want children. And since the ending is open to interpration, I choose to interpret it as Claudia and Ben getting back together and not having kids, since it seems like she truly doesn't want any and I wouldn't want the character to be ashamed of that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby Proof.