Scott Axsom's Reviews > Humboldt's Gift

Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow

Jul 06, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: to-get-back-to

GAAHH! I am through with this book! SOOOOO full of itself. Has Ralph Moody ruined me forever with regard to great literature?!?!? Only time will tell. In the meantime... on to "Lonesome Dove". (I'm still on a Pulitzer binge).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Humboldt's Gift.

Scott Axsom OK, having read some of the other reviews, I see I am not alone.

message 2: by Duff (new)

Duff I remember this only faintly from a long time ago...and the memory is not particularly warm. I guess I am not a significant fan of Bellow.

message 3: by Scott (last edited Jun 15, 2012 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott Axsom Duff wrote: "I remember this only faintly from a long time ago...and the memory is not particularly warm. I guess I am not a significant fan of Bellow."

This seems to me the definition of intellectual clap-trap. If a love of Bellow is necessary for entrance to the club, I'm afraid I'll forever be looking in through the window. Apparently, the Nobel committee felt differently (though the list of literary laureates is, on the whole, pretty obscure, IMHO).

message 4: by Duff (new)

Duff What...you mean you don't read Selma Lagerlof and Sully Prudhomme? Can such writers be obscure? ;-)

I cannot even recognize a good number of them, either.

Scott Axsom Duff wrote: "What...you mean you don't read Selma Lagerlof and Sully Prudhomme? Can such writers be obscure? ;-)

I cannot even recognize a good number of them, either."

Right? There are a couple I love (e.g., Steinbeck & Hemingway) but Henrik Pontoppidan? WTF?

message 6: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Can't wait to hear what you think of Lonesome Dove!

Scott Axsom Rhonda wrote: "Can't wait to hear what you think of Lonesome Dove!"

I'm right at the halfway point and just marveling at his story-telling. Some beautiful, unexpected polemical stuff cropping up now, too. Really, really loving it.