Peter's Reviews > The Hero of Ages

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

M 50x66
Jun 12, 12

Sanderson put a lot of thought into this book. He put a lot of thought into the whole series. I was impressed with the forethought and the world-building, and even the mythology. I absolutely loved the philosophical questions that Sanderson poses through Sazed and Elend. What I liked most was that, if you put the pieces together yourself, you would find yourself at the conclusion that Sanderson had written. Not many series can create something so complex that all the pieces are put into the previous books for you to discover.

I just thought that this book was a little bit too tedious as it set itself up for the climax. It was too monotone and repetitive, and I found Sazed's parts increasingly frustrating; it was basically a huge musing on religion. While it obviously was essential to the plot, I found myself impatient too many times, and I just can't bring myself to give it the 5 stars that it probably deserved.

I thought the ending was good, though, if a bit more revealing than action-packed. It wasn't an explosive ending, but it made sense and was masterfully crafted. It was the right one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero of Ages.