Toni (U.A.C.)'s Reviews > The Demon Lover

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: current-urban-fantasy-pnr, m-f, own-amazon, read-in-2012
Read from June 12 to 13, 2012

Current/Urban PNR FANT, Northeastern America:

Plot is okay, but I pretty much saw it all coming. I liked the world building and characters mostly...

Callie McFay is the main character and she takes a job of teaching at a "second rate" college that apparently has a strange curriculum that no one seems to bat an eyelash at including her expertise which has her teaching courses and writing books on vampires and demon's influence on sex lives(?) The world at large doesn't know that the plethora of magical creatures really exist, including Callie at first. BUT THEN, of course she comes into the know, in the general of senses, yet she doesn't bother to learn as much as she should and blunders her way through most of the book. Is it endearing or annoying? I can't tell. I also don't know if I blame her or the supporting characters. For instance, wouldn't you think that she would be assigned a mentor to help teach her what she needs. Or, say you found out one day you could do magic, and someone actually hands you a grimoire wouldn't first thing in your mind be, "Sweet! Let's find out what's in this puppy!" (Spoil alert: neither happens)

She had an invisible friend as a child that was sort of replacement for her dead parents, telling her fairy tales and keeping her company. Fast forward, she is much older starts to believe that her erotic dreams are the same dude, which is kind of creepy if you think too long about it. The sex scenes are chalk full of purple prose and euphemisms. Too much, in my opinion, but I mostly ignored it for the sake of the building plot, which really wasn't bad, it was okay.
BUT, as others have said, there are some blaring plot drops. This rather thick book ends as if it is a serial, so I guess we will have to wait for the second book to see what the conclusion is to them.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Lover.