Dorothy's Reviews > Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World

Jun 22, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club
Read in June, 2012

Congratulations, Rita Golden Gelman! You are the first author who has made me turn to the back cover while reading and repeatedly flick your author photo with my finger while saying aloud, "You fat, stupid jerk!!" (why "fat", I don't know. I'm overweight, too, so I can't really go around calling people fat. Oh, wait -- yes I can!)

I'm feeling generous. I'll give this book 2 stars because it was a compelling train wreck of a read, and I'm going to let go of most of my ire at this woman. Why? I'm too tired to rant tonight. But, I didn't like her at all. And for once, ALL OF BOOK CLUB AGREED WITH ME! Woot! I started off the discussion, and everyone said I pretty much summed it up perfectly. Here are my issues with the author, in a nutshell:

1. She is selfish.
2. She is smug.
3. She is completely full of herself.
4. She's greedy.
5. She thinks she's an anthropologist (or is that an author?), but is really a manipulative, bossy jerk just trying to weasel her way around the world. And she has such disdain for her own people, while idolizing all the "beautiful brown people" of exotic lands . . . seriously, lady?
6. She is trying to cover up her shortcomings with a book about how great her life is, and brag, brag, brag until our eyes glaze over and we just don't care.
7. She's also totally trusting of anyone, which I will just never understand.

I just have to ask: what did she have against Hans? For the whole book she just loved anyone she came across -- oh wait, I mean, every single person loved HER, but she basically devoted a chapter to what an imbecile this Hans character was. He must have turned her down and this is how she's getting her petty "revenge". We all laughed at book club! I'm with you, Hans.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of a Female Nomad.