Barb Levin's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Jun 19, 12

Read from June 12 to 19, 2012

I became interested in Scott Jurek after reading Born to Run, and was excited when I learned Scott's new book would be published shortly after I finished McDougall's book. I tremendously enjoyed reading about his early childhood and growing up years in more detail than McDougall could possibly have described it (because his book's focus was not on Scott per se). Scott went from being "super human" to "human" as I read his book. I am still in tremendous awe of him - his spirit, his persistence, his athletic prowess and his cooking - but I feel like I understand a little more about what makes him tick. In the later chapters of the book, he goes into a lot of detail about his various races and that's great, but I wish he had continued to give as much detail about his personal life -his jobs outside of running, his marriage and its eventual failure, and even more about some of his friendships. I "discovered" running in my 50's and do about two marathons a year and really don't think I will ever venture beyond that distance, but I could really relate to much of what Scott said about running. Although I am not a vegan, I do eat a diet rich in plant foods and could relate very much to what he says about diet. I know people who run so they can "eat whatever they want," a philosophy I don't understand at all if the food makes you unhealthy, and so I enjoyed reading about Scott's slow transition from meat and potatoes to vegan and his reasons for it. He is not afraid to open his heart and talk about his doubts, his fears, his feeling lost, and even his intense desire to win. After reading this, I feel like I know Scott a little better and I like him!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.