Suvi's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Book One

Jun 12, 12

liked it
bookshelves: comics
Read in June, 2012

Here's another who first stumbled upon the AMC show, fell in love and then realised it's based on this series. So, basically there are issues with both, a little different but easier to pass with the TV show than with this one, hence my rating. The pace in here is much better, leaving no dull moments and taking very different solutions in terms of the plot. Didn't like how quickly the issue of Shane was put forward, but I'll live. The character of Daryl in the show is also quite awesome, so I missed him a bit.

What bothered me the most was the dialogue. I don't know if it's because I'm not a comic or graphic novel enthusiast, but it was pretty clumsy and lacking the difference of speech between different characters. When the text is sparse, I expect it to be fully incorporated into the story. What comes to the art, it's really great. In black and white the grim atmosphere is truly conveyed to the reader, and even the zombie attacks manage to be gruesome.

Oh, and Lori... She is repulsively annoying in the TV show. A bit so in here as well, but I can deal with her more easily when I don't have to see her staring with those vacant eyes with a stupid look on her face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Book One.

message 1: by Matti (new)

Matti Karjalainen TV show is ok, but I'd prefer Kirkman's graphic novel anytime!

Suvi I totally understand, the pace of the TV show really sucked at one point. I'm just not used to graphic novels or comics, so that's probably the reason why I didn't like this as much as I wanted :)

Raisu This was some of the worst dialogue I've read in a comic book for a good long while, and I am a bit of an enthusiast, so it's not just you. :) The characters don't talk, they make speeches at each-other.

Suvi I'm glad :) I thought it was just something I was mmissing since I don't read a lot of comics.