Tarra's Reviews > It Happened One Autumn

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in June, 2012

Another great romance from Lisa Kleypas! I'm new to her writing and have enjoyed the 4 books I've read.

I loved the main characters in this book. Lillian is feisty (ok, bratty), strong-willed, opinionated, cynical, and American. Marcus is stodgy, strong-willed, opinionated, cynical, and British. Perfect match? Yup! Fantastic, witty, sexy dialogue really made this book a fun read. Marcus doesn't want to make Lillian fit the mold of a true English Lady, he says the mold is meant to be broken. Love him!

I love the scene when Lillian and her sister Daisy were playing rounders (with their clothes on, lol) with the stable hands and Marcus appears. Who knew that teaching someone to play baseball could be so charming, funny, and sensual! Another favorite scene involved butterflies and calf's heads and eyeballs. ;)

I really appreciate how this author can incorporate so many supporting characters, yet make each feel vital to the story, while giving the reader insight into their characters. I still love Sebastian St. Vincent, even though he was the villain in this story. He really got off easy, in my opinion! I also really liked Marcus' sister Olivia. Olivia and Marcus had some great scenes with their nasty, cold-hearted mother. I'm so glad that Marcus was fully aware of how evil his mother was and never tried to coddle or placate her.

A few things I didn't like all that much: Though it was hilarious when Lillian got drunk on pear wine, I think Marcus was a bit out of character for what happened next. When Lillian got her wits about her and sobered up, I was expecting her to be livid and put him in his place (again.) And did Lillian and the Wallflowers really believe that the perfume was a magical love potion that would help them snag a man? At first I thought they were just teasing and having fun, then it became clear that they believed the perfume had some power. This made them seem so much younger than they were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Happened One Autumn.